Sunday, March 27, 2011

How This Book Came About

Last week I promised myself and you that I'd write about how my various books came into being. Here's the first installment. I'd love to hear from you.


Passion’s Four Towers
 
The year: 2005 The location: Reno, NV The event: RWA National Convention

The inciting incident: Spotlight on Ellora’s Cave

I ran into sister writer and former RWA chapter mate Lynn LaFleur at this convention. She urged me to attend the spotlight on Ellora’s Cave. I did and won an anthology. Now, ordinarily I don’t like anthologies—the stories are too short. But I enjoyed every one of the stories—especially The Windsday Club by Charlotte Boyett-Campos. I wondered if I could write something equally funny and HOT!
At home, I began writing like a mad woman. I wrote scenes without thought of how they all would fit together. But at last, it was done and I sent my darling baby out into the cold reaches of cyberspace.
And received an acknowledgement that she’d arrived safely! Whew!
A couple of months later, I got a notice that things were a little backed up, but I should hear shortly about my baby’s fate. She survived her initial reading and had gone on to an acquiring editor. In late September 2006 I received a lovely rejection letter, saying too many of my sex scenes occurred “off stage” but if I wanted to revise and resubmit, I was welcome to do so.
Well, I guess you know what I did. I revised and resubmitted. “The Call” came in the form of an email that my DH woke me up at 0400 hours to read. His comment was, “I think you’ll want to see this.” And I did the Snoopy dance right in the middle of my husband’s office and sent an email back, saying, “Yes! I want the contract. And thanks!”
Passion’s Four Towers released in March 2007 and is still my best seller.

Why is this book so important to me? Aside from it being my first sale, I’d been trying to become a published author for fifteen years! I’d pretty much given up and decided if I didn’t sell I’d have to find another something to keep my mind occupied. But, thankfully, I did sell—in a genre I never expected to write. Erotic romance.

I now have sold thirteen stories from novellas to super novels (word counts from small to near 100,000). I even have a story that’s up for Book of the Month at Sizzling Hot Books Reviews: http://www.sizzlinghotbooks.net/
Voting starts on March 30, 2011 and goes for 48 hours. I hope, if you read this in time, you’ll take the time to vote for Their Consummate Courtesan from eXtasy Books.
In the meantime, hold on to your dreams and keep on writing. You never know when good things might happen and open a whole new world.

Dee Brice
March 27, 2011


4 comments:

  1. And am I ever glad you got the chance to revise and resubmit or the reading world would have been deprived of a very entertaining author. you rock, Dee!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your site is beautiful, Dee. It's my first visit and not my last.

    You are right, you never know when good things will turn your world around. My new slogan is "You can't fight fate." I've learned it is what is tossed in front of us that makes us strong, it's how we handle it.

    Continued good luck with your sales. I missed seeing everyone at the meeting Saturday. Doggone snow just won't stop up here. I know I am suffering from cabin fever because we've been cabin bound forever now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome site and I look forward to reading your books. Reading what you've written re: your 1st sale, it makes me want to type up what i've gotten so far, and see what happens. I've also been trying to write erotic romance for many years and have wanted to write for most of my life (I'm 35 today btw, lol) so again, good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What encouragement! Knowing that hard work, and more importantly commitment, can pay off is just the reminder I need to get to work myself. Congrats on your success Dee!

    ReplyDelete